Chicken Potpie Casserole
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, pimientos and salt; heat through. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- For topping, in a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 489 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Dec 22, 2019
I love chicken pot pie and this recipe sounds yummy. I can't eat mushrooms and dont like pimento so I'm substituting a bag of frozen baby Lima beans and more sweet onion. I'm also going to give already prepared biscuits from the dairy case a try instead of making them from scratch and see how this turns out. I'm also thinking about trying puff pastry in the future.
Oct 12, 2019
I am making this tonight but I am leaving out the mushrooms, onions and pimientos. I am using peas, greenbeans, corn and carrots and instead of using the biscuit recipe I am making Red Lobsters cheddar bay biscuits to put on top. My brother made it that way and he said it was delicious and a big hit with his husband.
Jul 15, 2019
Make sure the liquids are doubled, as the bisquits suck up the broth if you don’t. I make this casserole often with any roasted meat: chicken,beef or pork and always use plenty of broth or gravy-YUM!
Nov 8, 2018
Awesome fall / winter dinner. I did omit the pimentos and mushrooms as i did not have on hand. For vegetables, I added peas, green beans and corn. Also no 2% milk, so I substituted 3/4 cup half 'n half. I also added about 3 tsp. Herb Ox granules to the College Inn broth for more flavor. I did use Pillsbury biscuits due to to time constraints ....OK, easier,too. Served with whole berry cranberry sauce on the side.
Oct 11, 2018
To finish my review..
Jul 23, 2018
Delicious! I left out the mushrooms because I don't like them and used a little extra of the peas and carrots. I also bought a rotisserie chicken which I cut up. These biscuits are definitely the best I have ever made! Don't cheat and buy the refrigerated tube; it's well worth the little bit of effort.
Mar 4, 2018
well said, LiLian.I agree with that rating.
Dec 19, 2017
This is a very good recipe. Because we like extra veggies I added frozen corn, fresh green beans ( cooked ) and substituted the pimentos for diced red bell pepper, from the garden. It also freezes very well. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Sep 27, 2017
Great recipe. I made mine in a cast iron skillet and just baked it in that as well. I used carrots, celery and onion; forgot all about the peas and pimientos, but we didn't miss it a bit. I loved the biscuit recipe and will be using it for my biscuits from now on! Very good meal for a chilly fall evening.
Aug 14, 2017
This was not bad but in no way does it give you 8 servings. The 2 of us had it 2 nights in a row. I swapped out the 2% milk for 3/4 cup half and half and 1/4 cup of white wine and added 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1 clove of minced garlic.