Chicken Potpie Casserole
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, pimientos and salt; heat through. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- For topping, in a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 489 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Jul 23, 2018
Delicious! I left out the mushrooms because I don't like them and used a little extra of the peas and carrots. I also bought a rotisserie chicken which I cut up. These biscuits are definitely the best I have ever made! Don't cheat and buy the refrigerated tube; it's well worth the little bit of effort.
Mar 4, 2018
well said, LiLian.I agree with that rating.
Dec 19, 2017
This is a very good recipe. Because we like extra veggies I added frozen corn, fresh green beans ( cooked ) and substituted the pimentos for diced red bell pepper, from the garden. It also freezes very well. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Sep 27, 2017
Great recipe. I made mine in a cast iron skillet and just baked it in that as well. I used carrots, celery and onion; forgot all about the peas and pimientos, but we didn't miss it a bit. I loved the biscuit recipe and will be using it for my biscuits from now on! Very good meal for a chilly fall evening.
Aug 14, 2017
This was not bad but in no way does it give you 8 servings. The 2 of us had it 2 nights in a row. I swapped out the 2% milk for 3/4 cup half and half and 1/4 cup of white wine and added 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1 clove of minced garlic.
Jun 20, 2017
This is another one of my favorite recipes of comfort food!!
Jun 13, 2017
My favorite part of this recipe is that it's all home made. Right down to the biscuits. TY for sharing it. I hate when someone calls it a recipe, and all you do is open boxes and cans. I can do that all by myself ! Lol And we don't eat the preservatives or added salts and sugars and dyes.
Nov 7, 2016
This is delicious! I made it last week and again yesterday! I make my own chicken stock, so herbs and seasoning go in there. I also always salt and pepper my onions and other vegetables that I slightly caramelize. I'd say I quadruple the recipe, I knew we'd love it that much! Leftovers are phenomenal too. I'm not big on mushrooms and since I'm the cook, haha, I left them out. I added potatoes, and this last time, my husband requested celery and corn also. I'd say any veggie you like would be a good addition! Other than that, I followed the recipe. Not making the biscuits as written, at least once, would be a shame, because they're delicious! If you make sure they're getting brown on top, they won't be underdone on the bottom or in the middle. All they are, are a baking powder biscuit. Creamed soups have MSG in them, bisquick or canned biscuits have so many preservatives, so why not make your own? This recipe is truly fabulous! Thank you Liliane!
Oct 28, 2016
Can't wait to try this out! This is on my list for meals to make with my leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. Just a quick swap on the chicken and I know this will make for a delicious dinner!
Apr 27, 2016
Was a rainy, windy, cool day today, so thought I would try this recipe. So glad I did!! Hubby and I both had sconds, it was so good. Will definitely be making this again. Neither of us like mushrooms, and I didn't have the pimientos, so I didn't use them. I only used 4 Tablespoons of butter to cook the veggies in and I added chopped celery. Otherwise followed the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.