Blend of the Bayou
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, cook and stir cream cheese and 2 tablespoons butter over low heat until melted and smooth.
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, saute onion, celery and green pepper in remaining butter until tender. Stir in shrimp, crab, soup, rice, mushrooms, garlic salt, pepper sauce, cayenne and cream cheese mixture.
- Combine cheddar cheese and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 366 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Oct 30, 2019
Outstanding recipe as is! The only thing different I did was use cream cheese light and it was not to rich! Perfect!
Oct 27, 2019
why on earth would anyone use canned mushrooms??:-(( Awful choice when fresh are so much better!
Sep 28, 2019
This recipe is a real favorite of mine. I made it for my brother (the chef) and he was amazed at how good it tasted. I don't change a thing and it's perfect every time.
Sep 16, 2019
I made this just as printed and it was delicious! Very rich though. We will have this again. might have to tone down the cream cheese a bit.
Mar 23, 2014
I use 2 lbs of salad shrimp and leave out the crab. I use crab or lobster bisque instead of cream of mushroom and am generous with the hot sauce. My family loves the slightly modified version.
Feb 23, 2014
This recipe which is ACTUALLY from the cook book collection of recipes gathered from the Lake Charles Junior League of Louisiana members for many years. Some of Louisiana's best! We have been making this for decades and have tweeked the recipe to our tastes. We believe it enhances the original recipe if you are looking for a splurge of flavor and are not concerned with the additional expense. Our modifications to the original recipe are as follows:~ Use dehydrated mushrooms instead of canned~ Add 1 tsp of dried chives~ Add 3/4 lb of diced scallops~ Substitute crackers for Cheese-it Crackers* My son likes his extra spicy, so he even adds some sriracha to kick it up another notch!
Feb 7, 2011
If you like seafood you will like this one. It was very easy to make and has lots of spice.
Feb 1, 2011
Recipe calls for the entire container of cream cheese, if make again will only add 1/2 b/c just tasted entirely like cream cheese & was bland so had to add a LOT of hot sauce, also will try using imitation crab & will leave out the canned mushrooms-didn't need to be there since didn't add anything to the taste
Jan 24, 2011
This was pretty tasty, but not worth the price to make. I'd rather use my crab in crab cakes and my shrimp in Thai Shrimp and Noodles (an amazing Taste of Home recipe... Look it up!).
Jan 12, 2011
This is a delicous dish! Creamy and comforting on a winter night. I am not a fan of crab and substitued imitation crab which is also a lot less expensive. Also, I added a bit more rice.