This golden-colored soup is brimming with an assortment of seafood and is paired with savory and colorful sourdough toasts.— Lauren Covas, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes12 servings (5 quarts)
- 2/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red pepper, drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads or 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3-1/2 cups cubed red potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups clam juice
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 24 fresh littleneck clams
- 24 fresh mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 pound red snapper fillet, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place red pepper and mayonnaise in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.
- For toasts, rub 1 side of each bread slice with garlic; discard garlic. Cut bread slices in half. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- In a stockpot, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat; stir in tomatoes and saffron. Add the potatoes, fennel, broth, clam juice and tarragon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Add the clams, mussels, snapper and shrimp. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until clams and mussels open and fish flakes easily with a fork. Discard any unopened clams or mussels. Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with parsley. Spread pepper mayo over toasts; serve with bouillabaisse.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups with 2 teaspoons spread on 1/2 slice of bread: 239 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.