Easy Mint Chocolate Truffles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- baking cocoa, finely chopped nuts or chocolate sprinkles
- Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in chips and peppermint extract until chocolate is melted. Stir in marshmallow creme and vanilla until smooth. Spread into prepared pan.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, for 3 hours or until firm. Lift out of pan; cut into 1-1/2-in. squares. Roll each into a ball. Roll truffles in cocoa, nuts or sprinkles. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 174 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Sep 6, 2014
They really are easy. 'Nuff said.
Dec 26, 2011
another hint, if you're coating with peppermint pieces, it took me almost 5 of the med size canes to cover the recipe. got to crush them almost to powder with just a few little bits whole to get it to cover well and don't let the mixture get too cold
Dec 26, 2011
if it was gritty, you didn't get the sugar dissolved properly and perhaps didn't cook to the right temp. get a GOOD candy thermometer and try again. can be flavored other than mint as well...
Dec 14, 2011
So easy to make and everyone in my family loved them!!!
Dec 9, 2011
I was disappointed with this recipe. It was gritty and tasted more like minty fudge balls instead of truffles.
Dec 9, 2011
I was disappointed with this recipe. More like minty fudge balls instead of truffles. A little on the gritty side.
Dec 7, 2011
Chocolate seized when I put min extract-or is it supposed to have a gritty texture?
Dec 6, 2011
I don't recommend freezing,a week in the 'fridge however it's sugar so it will probably keep much longer.Either way thaw at room temp. to keep the shine and not lose texture.
Dec 5, 2011
How long would these last?In refrigerator?Can they be frozen?How far in advance can I make them?Would like to make them in advance for a wedding.
Dec 21, 2008
If I make the mixture the night before, and put it in the fridge, what is the best way to warm it up to continue rolling the truffles
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.