Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups salted cashew halves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon butter.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix sugar and corn syrup; microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes. Stir to dissolve sugar; microwave 2 minutes longer. Stir in cashews and remaining butter; microwave on high for 40 seconds. Stir; continue microwaving in 20-second intervals until mixture turns a light amber color, about 1-2 minutes. (Mixture will be very hot.) Quickly stir in baking soda and vanilla until light and foamy.
- Immediately pour onto prepared pan, spreading with a metal spatula; cool slightly. Refrigerate until set, 15-20 minutes.
- Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce: 184 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2019
Fantastic recipe! If you follow the directions exactly, you will have a delicious treat that is much easier and less hassle than making it on the stove top using a candy thermometer. I recommend a glass bowl to prevent sticking and also to soak the bowl in very hot soapy water immediately after pouring out the mixture onto the pan. I always avoided making brittle but thanks to this recipe I will be making it often.
Jan 9, 2015
Super easy and so delish! Very buttery, and ,well, yummy!
Jan 11, 2014
I was making this at my boyfriend's house and it must have cooked WAY faster than the time stated. Burnt way before cooking time was over and ruined his microwave bowl, Needless to say I did not finish making it, but don't think I will attempt it again.
Dec 30, 2013
This is my most requested recipe I make for Christmas. Make sure not to add any more than one teaspoon of butter or it will not harden.
Dec 9, 2013
This is wonderful, fast and easy. I've made it for several years now. I often substitute peanuts for the cashews and I adjusted the cooking times as I have a 1200 watt microwave. I used slightly less cooking times. Turns out perfect every time!!
Dec 17, 2012
Due to variations in microwaves I would not use this recipe.I cooked it longer than called for because it never turned an amber color.It was a rubbery mess !
Dec 21, 2011
Very easy to make and a huge hit with the family! Work fast! It hardens very quickly!
Dec 16, 2011
I followed these directions exactly and found the result to be a sticky candy that never did completely harden. The solution is to extend the initial cooking time from 3 minutes to 4 minutes; add the cashews and cook for 3 minutes rather than 2 minutes; add the butter and vanilla; heat for another 1 1/2 minutes; then add the baking soda, stirring until very light and frothy. Spread evenly on a buttered cookie sheet and you'll have a true brittle.
Dec 12, 2011
followed recipe and realized there was no water. Anyone know how much would be needed? I would like to make it and have it turn out correctly. Thanks for input.
Oct 13, 2011
Very very tasty treat!!! Easy to make too, especially after watching the video. I will be making this time and time again, especially since it disappears in my house so quickly!