Layered Mint Candies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
Makesabout 2 pounds (about 9-1/2 dozen)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 pounds white candy coating, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops green food coloring, optional
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil. Grease foil with butter.
- Microwave 1 pound candy coating and chocolate chips until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Spread half into prepared pan, reserving half. Microwave remaining white candy coating until melted; stir in extract and, if desired, food coloring. Stir in cream until smooth (mixture will be stiff). Spread over first layer; refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes. Warm reserved chocolate mixture if necessary; spread over mint layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan, then remove foil. Cut into 1-in. squares. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 41 calories, 2g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Dec 21, 2017
The candy was much thinner than the recipe pictured and the mint flavor was way to much. Will not make this again
Dec 16, 2017
My candies were just like the pic. It is a little crumbly but delicious!So fun to make I bought rasberry extract to make another batch. Forgot the dye but my daughter says the better tasting. Great gifts for unexpected Christmas visitors!
Dec 20, 2012
I have been making this candy for many years. It is always a favorite. I have varied the flavoring by using cherry, almond and orange - color accordingly.
Dec 11, 2010
great recipe - I'd moved and couldn't find my copy & was really stressing till a friend sent me this link. I'd promised to make it for friends. This time it goes in my recipe box.Also good made with cherry instead of mint in the middle. Makes a very pretty display, not to mention very yummy.
Dec 6, 2010
This candy is delicious however, it is very thin and not as thick as the picture shows.It is also not easy to cut as it breaks apart as you are cutting it.