Creamy Orange Caramels
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.+ standing
Makesabout 2-1/2 pounds (80 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 11x7-in. dish with foil; grease foil with 1 teaspoon butter.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; boil gently, without stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Immediately pour into prepared dish (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm.
- Using foil, lift out candy; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut caramel into 1x3/4-in. pieces. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Oct 19, 2014
This is the best caramel recipe I have ever seen this year we are going to try making chocolate sweetened condensed milk and having chocolate caramels we are also looking into using pink Himalayan salt to make salted caramel.
Dec 28, 2012
These were fabulous!! Soft and creamy, not one bit grainy. I used a little more orange extract than called for, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I dipped some of the caramels in chocolate. My guests loved them. I will surely be making these again!
Dec 23, 2012
The best caramels ever!!! Soft and chewy and absolutely delicious!
Dec 23, 2012
Never made caramels before and don't think I will ever try another recipe...this is the best! They were a big hit and make the perfect gift! Delicious!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.