Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min. + standing
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 pounds chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with 2 teaspoons butter and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, corn syrup, 1 cup cream and the remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Slowly stir in the remaining cream. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 107 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 24, 2011
I have made several batches of these already, but I don't use nuts in them. The most common reaction I get is "Wow, I can't believe how good these are!" Everyone from my 7 year old cousin to my picky father loves them. They are definitely worth the effort, and a batch of them makes plenty to share!
Jan 17, 2010
I make ALOT of candy and ccookies at christmas and so I tried this and have sence been told that these will be expected every year he he. my family and friends raved over them its a keeper. after you pour out the carmel set the pan down and with a sil.scraper mix up whats left in the pan and put on a plate and let cool ,,it gets hard and tast just like worthers hard candy .just thought I would share that .thanks TOH ,,I just love this mag,mitzy johnston ,addy wa.
Dec 25, 2009
These were a hit at Christmas!
Dec 17, 2009
So delicious, and easy to make...definitely a "keeper"!
Dec 15, 2009
These are so easy to make and they taste wonderful! It's a recipe I'll be using every Christmas! Thanks for sharing.
Dec 13, 2009
Loved these. Worth the time. Only problem is I can't eat just one. They would make a great gift item.