Creamy Soft Caramels
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugars, salt and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir in corn syrup; return to a boil. Remove from the heat; slowly stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 70 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2019
They caramels are easy, soft and taste amazing!!!!
Dec 18, 2015
Love these caramels. They are sticky when trying to individually wrap and found they do better chilled.
Dec 14, 2013
Great taste and fairly easy, must use an accurate candy thermometer or you might end up with caramel ice cream topping.