Easy Microwave Caramels
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makesabout 2-3/4 lbs
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2-1/3 cups (1 pound) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In 2-qt. microwave-safe pitcher, combine the butter, sugar, syrup, milk and salt. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring once after every minute. When butter is melted, stir well. Attach microwave candy thermometer. Microwave on high for about 8 minutes or until mixture reaches 245° (firm-ball stage). No stirring is needed. Remove from microwave; stir in vanilla and walnuts. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring well several times. Pour into buttered 13x9-in. pan (smaller 11x7-in. pan yields thicker candy as shown in photo). Refrigerate until cool. Invert pan. Carefully tap out whole block of candy; cut in squares. Wrap in waxed paper and store in refrigerator. (Can also freeze.)
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Oct 31, 2013
I am a volunteer TOH field editor and have made these carmels for years!!!!! They are so good! My advice is to make sure to use high quality ingredients and measure temp. I have made these every year for my clients at Christmas!! A huge hit!!!!
Nov 16, 2012
Great recipe have made since recipe was first published. It depends on your microwave as to how long it needs to cook. I would encourage you to purchase an excellent candy thermometer.
Dec 9, 2011
I've been making these for years! A real family favorite!
Apr 29, 2010
This turned out hard as a rock. I tried to slice it and my knife got stuck.
Dec 4, 2009
This recipe was a hit. I get many requests for this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.