Creamy Caramel Flan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, cook and stir sugar over medium-low heat until melted and golden, about 15 minutes. Quickly pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round baking or souffle dish, tilting to coat the bottom; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour over caramelized sugar.
- Place the dish in a larger baking pan. Pour boiling water into larger pan to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle).
- Remove dish from a larger pan to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight.
- To unmold, run a knife around edges and invert onto a large rimmed serving platter. Cut into wedges or spoon onto dessert plates; spoon sauce over each serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 346 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 182mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 9, 2018
Amazing! My family requests this for special celebrations. Sadly, there is never any leftovers.
Oct 9, 2018
I agree with @ cast_iron_king, my family is Cuban and I have been making Traditional Flan for the 40 years. This is more appropriately "Flan de Queso Crema (Cream cheese Flan)," as traditional flan does not contain cheese. But just for the sake of a new recipe that similar I will try the Cheese Cake flavor. @DawnMarieB
Oct 5, 2018
I've made this a few times now, and it is wonderful! I love flan, but this one is way better than most. I'm not sure how to comment on other people's reviews, but I'd like to respond to Gary who posted "Spoon sauce over each serving? No mention of sauce in recipe." The recipe makes its own sauce. The first time I made it, I thought I had done something wrong since the carmelized sugar turns as hard as glass after you pour it in the pan. But if you follow the directions which say to pour boiling water in the larger pan after you place the dish in it, the carmelized sugar never fails to turn to sauce when you turn it over.
Sep 26, 2018
“Spoon sauce over each serving”? No mention of sauce in recipe.
May 30, 2018
Made this it turned out beautiful! !! I will be making it again , for sure.
May 22, 2018
Not bad at all did exactly what the recipe said as well as left it uncovered came out Beautiful
May 3, 2018
First time making a flan and it was a hit! Perfect consistency! Not too wobbly or hard, not too sweet, just right. Husband loves it is flying off the fridge. Will definitely make it again. So easy to remember the recipe! <3 Love love love it! Thank you!
Dec 29, 2017
Very tasty. Easy to make and it unfolded perfectly. It was excellent the second day as well. Janet. VFE
Dec 26, 2016
This is more appropriately "Flan de Queso Crema (Cream cheese Flan)," as traditional flan does not contain cheese. It is a hybrid between custard and cheesecake. And it is 100% rich and delicious! I have made this a few times and have found that people who don't care for the texture of traditional flan really love this one! Don't worry if your caramel layer hardens to that "candy glass." Most of it will soften again while baking, leaving a great sauce on the finished dessert. For best results, mix the flan ingredients before melting the sugar, so it is ready to pour on top of the caramel immediately after you coat the bottom of your mold. A great dessert, sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters!
Jun 7, 2016
Great desert. Easy as hell and been told "Best I Ever Had" and I agree. Today making it again from memory.