Cinnamon Rock Candy
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 pounds
- 1 cup water
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon oil
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with foil; butter the foil and set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine water, sugar, corn syrup and food coloring. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals.
- Uncover; cook on medium-high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cinnamon oil (keep face away from mixture as oil is very strong). Immediately pour onto prepared pan. Cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- Break the candy into pieces using the edge of a metal mallet. Sprinkle both sides of candy with confectioners' sugar. Store in airtight container.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce-weight: 132 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 16mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Oct 31, 2019
We make several batches of this every year! It’s amazing! Makes the holiday candy plates complete!
Dec 17, 2018
Great recipe. Candy was super easy to make and break into pieces. Tastes wonderful. In the recipe, it warns about the strength of the cinnamon oil. They're NOT joking. I thought I was far enough away but the oil smell still burned my nosehairs and made my eyes water. No big deal. I'll definitely be making this again.
Dec 12, 2018
Would it be possible to wintergreen oil or even peppermint instead of cinnamon oil? This sounds easy, but would like more than just cinnamon.
Oct 31, 2018
The best recipe, Marganne do you or you relatives come from Ohio, for I am an Oxley also.
Jan 17, 2018
I made it twice. The first time turned out great. The second time, the candy never hardened. Do you know what I did wrong the second time?
Nov 19, 2017
Can you use any flavor to this recipe
May 3, 2015
I sold this at a bake sale, and it was gone within 5 minutes.
May 28, 2014
This is the first time I have ever made rock candy and the recipe came out perfectly! I did add an additional tsp of cinnamon flavoring because I was using extract instead of oil. I was wondering if it would be a problem to double up on this recipe if you had two pans to pour it into?
Dec 29, 2013
Great! Next time I think ill double the cinnamon oil though there was only cinnamon flavor in the beginning then went away.....overall great easy recipe
Dec 17, 2013