Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min. + standing
Makes1-1/2 pounds (60 pieces)
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line three 15x10x1-in. pans with waxed paper.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 252° (hard-ball stage). Just before the temperature is reached, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add hot sugar mixture in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly and scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add vanilla. Beat until candy holds its shape, 5-6 minutes. (Do not overmix or candy will get stiff and crumbly.) Immediately fold in pecans.
- Quickly drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans. Let stand at room temperature until dry to the touch. Store between waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 61 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Dec 24, 2018
This recipe is quick and easy. It turned out delicious, just like my Mom used to make!! I opted to use diced candied cherries instead of pecans. My Mom often used diced gumdrops in hers. Whatever you choose to add or add nothing at all, it will be yummy!
Mar 31, 2016
Sounds fairly cmlose to my receipe. Divinity doesn't work well in extremely humid weather, I skip rainy days. I have alwats used the twice cook method. Half the syrup to firm ball then the other half to hard crack. Candy thermometers are a good idea for some I have always tested in cold water.
Jan 4, 2013
This is not particularly my favorite kind of candy but I thought it was pretty good and the people that I made it for loved it. Unfortunatly, mine were a little flat but I think it was my fault. I will try it again next Christmas.