Of the 35 kinds of candy I make each Christmas, this is by far the favorite of family and friends. These treats taste like a million bucks!—Theda Andres, Appleton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- Grease four baking sheets with 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, sugars, corn syrup, salt and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Let stand until set.
- Drizzle melted candy coating over clusters; chill for 10 minutes or until set. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 127 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Millionaire Turtles Candy in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009