Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
Makesabout 2 pounds
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 3 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Line two baking sheets with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the caramels and water; cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Stir in pecans and cereal until coated. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip candy into chocolate, coating all sides; allow excess to drip off. Place on prepared pans. Refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce-weight: 172 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 6, 2018
I am a chocoholic, and I absolutely love these candies. I brought some to my workplace, and everyone raved about them and asked for the recipe. Definitely a keeper! It does take a little while to measure out the candies and then roll them in chocolate, so next time I think I will try rolling them into logs and then dipping the logs in chocolate. My other idea would be to press the candy into a greased pan, cover everything with the chocolate, and then cut into bars.
Jun 2, 2018
Been making it for the last 6 years. Luv it!!
May 30, 2018
A friend of mine makes those in the crock pot at Christmas. YUMMY.
May 30, 2018
I have been making these for years. These are outstanding. They have been shipped to our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, they loved them. I make them so often, I make my own caramel vs. unwrapping those small cubes of caramels. I also use Ghirardelli dark choc. candy coating instead of milk choc. I have used silicone molds, flattened out uncoated candy and cut with cookie cutters and just dropped them from cookie scoops. I always freeze them before dipping into the melted chocolate. Excellent candy!
Apr 6, 2018
Sounds absolutely amazing. Can't wait to make
Mar 20, 2018
These were so easy and delicious. I used roasted hazelnuts instead of pecans because that's all I had in my pantry. I can't wait to try them as written with pecans... I also think peanuts would be amazing....Or toasted coconut.... I think this is one of those simple recipes where the possibilities are endless!
Mar 1, 2018
Just a tip: I use a small crockpot to melt and dip. Easier and keeps the chocolate at an equal temperature. Not burning.
Feb 22, 2018
Never made these but wondering if you could use the caramel sauce (ice cream topping) instead of the caramels? Thanks.
Aug 12, 2017
This IS definitely a keeper!! Perfect holiday candy!!
Jan 2, 2016
Positively delicious. I used a Silpat instead of waxed paper and used chocolate disks instead of chocolate chips and shortening. It is a keeper.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.