Chocolate Angel Food Candy
If you love Angel Food Cake, you are going to love this candy. The taste is irresitable.—Geralyn Emmerich, Hubertus, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/4 pounds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound dark chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- 1/2 pound milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil and grease foil with butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Do not spread candy. Cool, then using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; break candy into pieces.
- In a microwave, melt dark chocolate coating and 1/2 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half the candies in the melted dark chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Repeat with milk chocolate coating and remaining shortening and candies. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 413 calories, 14g fat (12g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Angel Food in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.