Chocolate Angel Food Candy
If you love angel food cake, you are going to love this candy. The taste is irresistible. —Geralyn Emmerich, Hubertus, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/4 pounds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound dark chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- 1/2 pound milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil and grease foil with butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Immediately pour into prepared pan; do not spread candy. Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; break candy into pieces.
- In a microwave, melt dark chocolate coating and 1/2 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half the candies in the melted dark chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Repeat with milk chocolate coating and remaining 1/2 teaspoon shortening and candies. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 ounces: 413 calories, 14g fat (12g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Angel Food in Country Woman Christmas 2009