- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips with 3/4 cup condensed milk over low heat, stirring occasionally. Line an 8-in.-square dish with waxed paper; butter the paper.
- Spread half of melted chocolate mixture into pan; chill for 5-10 minutes (let remaining melted chocolate mixture stand at room temperature).
- In another saucepan, melt white baking chips. Stir in remaining condensed milk until smooth. Remove from the heat; add extract and food coloring. Refrigerate until set. Spread over chocolate layer; spread with reserved chocolate mixture. Refrigerate until set. Cut into 1-in. pieces. Yield: about 1-1/2 pounds (64 pieces).
Reviews for Peppermint Candy
"This was a big hit at my get together. I did melt the chocolate in the microwave though. Made for an easier cleanup. It did not quite cover the 8x8 pan, but all in all I would make this again."
"Omg!!! This awful it tastes good but you cannot cut the candy it is soooo sticky its just like trying to cut chewing gum, threw it away. Ugh! I was so dissappointed"
"Can i replace the white chocolate with candy coating? Will it make a difference?"
"I am experimenting now for new Christmas recipes. Reading the comments had me really wondering if these were worth trying. I read one where they never turned out, never set properly. Her problem was she used evaporated milk not condensed milk. Some made their own personal changes, which is great to see. I never used the butter as it's a waste since the recipe calls for wax paper. HINT the word WAX!!! I will make this as one of my new Christmas recipes. A very good easy recipe."
"This came out great and super yummy! I didn't melt all the chocolate the first time and cut the ingredients in half. Then after I did the peppermint layer, used the rest of the halved ingredients for the top chocolate layer. We cut them into smaller, 1/2 squares. Definitely recommend, very easy to make."
"I found this recipe to be very simple and very tasty, it reminded me of andes candy."
"This recipe is very good and tasty! I will definately make again. The only thing I found was that I had to make two batches of the chocolate. Not being an expert at chocolate but have had my share with it, chocolate that is left out is not easy to work with. I made the first batch using all of it for the bottom part and made a second one using all of it for the top part and was so much easier to work with."
"firefoxkitty, you must use condensed milk, not evaporated milk."
"maybe use 2 tsp mint instead of 3? Depends on how much you love mint."