- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add next seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add parsley; stir in cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover; bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 20 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forTraditional Lasagna
"This is hands down the best lasagna recipe I have ever tried. My husband and sons both loved it! The recipe was very simple and I was worried that it would not be very flavorful, but this was perfect. The sauce was amazing and the cheese mixture was fantastic. Many lasagna recipes turn out very runny, but the cheese mixture in this was just right. I used the lasagna noodles that don't require cooking and made sure to allow the lasagna to sit on the counter for 15 minutes before cutting. This will now be our lasagna recipe from now on! Thank you for sharing Lorri!"
"I don't usually write reviews but I just had to! I did add a cup of Cabernet red wine to the sauce but other than that kept to the recipe! My husband isn't much on pasta but he RAVED about this lasagna on the 3 bite and went back for seconds! It was truly delicious! I think I will make it for our family Christmas this year."
"Look no further, by far the best lasagna recipe. easy and delicious."
"This is, truly, a 5-star recipe! The best lasagna that I have ever eaten! The only tweak that I made was substituting seasoning salt for regular salt. Besides that, I followed it to a "T" . The whole family raved about it. Thanks for another winner :)"
"This is wonderful. The addition of provolone cheese make it."
"Yes, must agree. One of the best I have ever tried! Did leave out the cottage cheese , though. Added extra ricotta instead. Delicious!"
"Love, love, love this recipe!! It is so delicious, everyone raves over it. Will never make another lasagna recipe....ever!"
"This will be my go to lasagna from now on. Perfect! Served it Christmas Eve to rave reviews from family and friends."
"This has to be the best lasagna i have ever had. Only thing i changed is i used 1lb hot Italian sausage and 1/2lb gr beef. Amazing flavors. I love the provolone in this. This is my first time not popping a jar for the sauce and i will never go back. Thank you for sharing this recipe"