- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1-1/4 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 3 tablespoons parsley, basil, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, and remaining parsley and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 2 cups meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBest Lasagna
"I used all ingredients except for the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and water. I decided to use a jar of Newman's Own Italian Sausage & Peppers pasta sauce Instead. I used a 9x9 baking dish, which was just enough for myself and my husband. 1lb of ground beef and 1lb of mild Italian sausage was a perfect balance. This Was definitely MY BEST LASAGNA!!! 5 stars for me ??"
"Family loves it"
"This is really a great basic lasagna recipe. I gave it a 4 because I made a few small adjustments that I think enhanced the dish. First, more salt. I find most online recipes to be under seasoned. I typically cook my noodles in heavily salted water but I used "oven ready" noodles so I needed extra salt. Also, homemade tomato sauces always need extra salt. Also, I threw in a small pinch of red pepper flakes. I dislike spicy sensation but I find red pepper flakes just kicks up the flavor a notch. I LOVED how this this lasagna was, how it held up when cut and serves, and how thick and meaty everything was. LOVE the amount of cheese! We fed 4 adults and 5 kids with 3 large leftover portions with this!"
"its taste like poo"
"I just made this lasagna and my whole family loved it.I will definitely be making it soon. Excellent"
"Lasagna is one of my favorite meals. I have tried several recipes through the years and some were better than others but this one is a keeper. I thought it turned out great. I used 1lb Bob Evan's Italian sausage and 1lb ground chuck and I left out the fennel seed but everything else remained the same. I thought this was the best lasagna recipe I have ever made and will continue to make only this one from now on. I thought it was pretty simple to make as well."
"I used this recipe to cook lasagna for the first time and it was delicious. I used oven ready lasagna noodles..it was soooo good my husband is Italian and he said it was the best lasagna he's had that's as good as his Italian mom..i loved it..glad I didn't listen to the bad reviews"
"Delicious! Worth the effort"
"It really was a 5 star recipe, and I really don't care for nor make lasagna. I followed everything perfectly except considered everyone's comments...So someone said bland, so I added Italian seasoning to the sauce. Someone said watery, so I didn't put all of the 2/3 water. I didn't have fresh basil and parsley so I just used dried. It turned out really tasty. My son gave it a 10. It wasn't burnt looking either like some lasagna are. The too cheese layer was so pretty. That Italian sausage really gave it good flavoring. Don't skip on the sugar, it needed that! I agree.. a 5 for sure."
"Fantastic, wife and I loved it. Stick to the recipe! All these people thinking they're Gordon Ramsey trying to make the recipe their own. If you follow the recipe correctly the sauce has plenty of flavor! I know a lot of people don't let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes, which is where the flavor develops! Follow the recipe exactly and you'll have an amazing dish!"