- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forApple Pie
"It's a good recipe. I opted out the ginger just because I'm not much of a ginger fan. I used 6 granny Smiths apple and 1honey crisp. It was alittle too Tarte. Next time I'll use another honey crisp apple and less granny Smiths. Wish I could add a picture."
"fabulous and what a pie...."
"Great recipe. I used 6 cups of apples and 4 T of flour and it was perfect. I used granny smith apples. Thanks for the recipe. It is my new go to recipe for apple pie."
"I made this pie today and it turned out very nice but next time I'll skip the ginger. About apples, if you live in an area that has fresh picked apples you are very lucky. Apples after being stored lose moisture and this will cause your pie to be dry unless you add a little fluid or less flour. Used fresh picked Granny Smith (4) and only (2) Honeycrisp because they were huge and so sweet and tart too. All in all, this 85 year old man is glad he found this recipe."
"No hassle apple pie recipe. Cooked to perfection."
"Delicious pie! I used my favorite go-to homemade pastry dough recipe for the crust. I used 4 granny smith apples and 2 honeycrisp apples . That combination was perfect for us. Just the right amount of tart and sweet. TIP FOR ALL: If you dont want runny pies heres what to do; Mix your fruit with your sugars and lemon juice, let sit for at least 30 minutes, dump the juices that have been rendered out into a small sauce pan, boil it gently for about 5-10 minutes to form a syrup (you can add a teaspoon or so more of sugar at this point to thicken up your syrup if needed) let it cool slightly then add it back to your fruit and sugar, mix well then add your flour. This works every single time with every kind of pie. You will not have any more runny pie filling. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!"
"WOW!! Being a lover of Apple pie,I was always intimidated to attempt to bake one.Well I got brave tonight and I went for it.This is the best Apple pie I've ever eaten in my life,and I made it.I love taste of home,I've made some delicious meals from the recipes.This one I'll be making for years to come.Absolutely Delicious"