- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; saute until tender. Add next six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through. Add rice; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Spoon a rounded 1/2 cup of rice mixture down center of each tortilla. Fold sides over filling and roll up. Place seam side down in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon remaining rice mixture along sides of dish. Top tortillas with salsa. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBlack Bean and Rice Enchiladas
"These were very good and enjoyed by my whole family. I used whole wheat tortillas and replaced the picante sauce in the filling with salsa and the salsa on top with enchilada sauce but I know it would also be great as written."
"This was so easy and super yummy! Needs more kosher salt and I used a combination of hot sauce and the juice of one line instead of picante sauce."
"easy and delicious! Will definately be a weekly meal."
"Made per recipe. Taste was good but trying to get a 1/2 cup mixture in a 6 inch tortillas and roll with ends tucked in is crazy...did not work! I also had a fair amout of mixture leftover. Doubt that I would make again."
"I printed this recipe, quite some time back, but never made it. My wife and I are cutting way back on meat in our diet, and I found this in my recipe book. I'm sorry I waited so long to make it. It was great!"
"Just made this tonight and it was absolutely wonderful. As another person mentioned I put enchilada sauce in place of the salsa and it was great!!!!"
"WOW! I am one of those people who plans meals around what kind of meat to cook... my main reason for trying this recipe was to use up some leftover brown rice I had in the fridge... I was blown away by the taste, how easy it was to make, and the fact that I didn't miss the meat in it AT ALL! This is going into my regular recipe rotation, love it!"
"I made this for the second time last week. It's a great recipe. I dipped the tortillas in some extra picante sauce (as seen on a cooking show). It was messy, but really kept the tortillas moist through baking. I also used the picante sauce in place of the salsa. We didn't have any trouble cleaning up the leftovers."
"very good - think next time i'll top it with a homemade enchilada sauce instead of the salsa."
"Very yummy and you can make it mild or hot depending on what heat you use in the salsa/picante sauce. My picky 12yo even went back for seconds and ate leftovers the next day and never even realized there was no "meat" in it."