Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1-1/4 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 3 tablespoons parsley, basil, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, and remaining parsley and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 2 cups meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles and a third of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 519 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1013mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Oct 14, 2019
This is the right combination of flavor between the Italian sausage and seasonings. I never pre cook my noodles though, I lay them in straight from the package. Makes spreading the ricotta easier and once cooked, the slice stays firm and doesn't slide around on the plate. Maybe next time I'll put the meat through a grinder after it's cooked halfway, makes a less chunky but thicker sauce.
Jul 14, 2019
I just finished making this recipe. I am sure it is going to be tasteful. Other than my normal tweaks there definitely needs to be more ricotta cheese mix. I didn't have enough for the 3rd layer. Next time I will double the ricotta. I tasted the sauce and added more seasonings for my taste. You might want to do the same after using the basic measurements. Someone had posted 9 pieces weren't enough. Based on that review I ended cooking 12. 3 are going to waste Cook only 9 unless you have an oversized pan.
Jun 10, 2019
A good recipe, but I made some changes. First, I couldn't find my Basil or Fennel so I added about 4 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning instead. We like lots of garlic, so I doubled what was called for. Next, I don't know about others, but I like my noodles to cover the sauce completely. Nine noodles doesn't do that, so thank god I'd made the whole box. Finally, the recipe as is didn't make enough of the cheese layer for me, so next time I'll double it or mix Cottage Cheese in with it. I also used sliced Mozzarella instead of shred. Other than that, I made the sauces ahead and let them sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors meld. My husband (who's the cook in the family) said it was seasoned just right and he really liked it a lot. I will definitely be making this again.
May 19, 2019
Its a great recipe! Im not a creative person so I followed the recipe exactly. I do think it was a bit much sauce but next time I'll just save it for spaghetti later on. My entire family loved it.
Apr 6, 2019
First recipe I wanted to rate. Was looking for a recipe for a family game night thought this would be great . It was not too heavy the sauce has no taste too much meat. I’ve made the recipe on noodle box for years and so much better if your looking for a recipe to add to your books this is not it .
Mar 21, 2019
My boyfriend found this recipe and now it’s a go to at our house! We have made it multiple times. We do a few modifications: we only use one can of the crushed tomatoes (we skip the 2nd 15 oz can), we use extra basil and add 3/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne, we double the ricotta cheese mixture (and add a little basil to it as well), and lastly we add more parmasean cheese! It turns out to be, quite literally, the best lasagna EVER! We have also used the sauce wirh a few modifications: a can of diced tomatoes, additional spices, mushrooms, and peppers to make a spaghetti sauce! Rave reviews! I wish I could put 20 stars! Thanks for sharing.
Feb 9, 2019
Really wonderful lasagna. Better than some of the restaurant offerings I've had. Served it at a super bowl dinner with rave results!
Dec 14, 2018
I did change a few things as I was taught a different way to do spices in Italian dishes when I lived in Europe. I browned the meat and set in a colander to drain well. While cooking and drawing the meat heat 1tbs O.O to a large pot on med high, add spices and cook till aromatic, about 1min. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper (which I added), cook till soft. Add mushrooms and cook till liquid has been released and slightly reduced. Then add your tomatoes, salt, and sugar. Simmer for 15mins, add meat and simmer an additional 15mins. I also add the parmesan and garlic to the ricotta. The recipe is wonderful though, we just love the extra veggies...
Nov 27, 2018
I am an English chef with 30 years experience and this is the best lasagna i've ever tasted,followed the menu to the letter,my only comment would be that the cost of the ingredients is very high,but we pay a premium for cheeses here in Thailand.but after saying that i think the cost is worth it
Nov 25, 2018
I made a few adjustments, I used Italian seasoning, instead of using the spices in the recipe. Only did I use crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, I also used diced tomatoes, I also used a purple onion, and added a red pepper in the sauce. Otherwise I followed the recipe. It turned out Very Delicious!!! Will definitely make it again.