- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large heavy skillet, combine the flour and oil until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until flour is a rich deep brown. Add the onion, green pepper and celery; cook for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until heated through.
- Add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice. Yield: 4-5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for True Shrimp Creole
"LOVED it ! I used the little pearl onions and ADDED sugar snap peas! AWSOME !!!!!"
"I add cayenne pepper for a little kick"
"Heat for 45-50 minutes or until heated through? It would be "heated through" in 3 minutes. Poor directions!"
"This was much better than we expected. I do have a difficult time finding these large shells. WalMart carries them."
"I made this on Monday for Mardi Gras yesterday. This recipe is really really good. I did have to add some broth during cooking because it was drying out too much even on low heat. Since my hot sauce is rather wimpy I also added a scant 1/2 tsp. of cayenne. This will be the shrimp creole recipe I use from now on. Thanks for sharing it."
"This is definitely a winner! I added cayenne pepper for more of a kick. I like it spicy."
"I took the liberty of adding polish sausage to the mixture and serving it on a bed of wild rice. (A true Polish Minnesotan!). I thought the meal was delicious! Thanks for sharing!"