Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook sausage for 2-3 minutes; stir in chicken livers. Cook 5-7 minutes more or until sausage and chicken livers are no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, green onions and parsley in butter until the vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Stir in rice, sausage and chicken livers. Heat through, stirring constantly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 148 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 31, 2016
Great recipe! I do love chicken liver, however, I omitted it to please my kids. I think a traditional dirty rice does contain chicken liver. This is a keeper.
Jan 26, 2016
Excellent! This totally beats any dirty rice mix from a box I've ever had! I used cooked and sliced Italian sausage links instead of the bulk pork sausage and chicken livers because they were what I had on-hand. I also used green pepper instead of celery. Regardless of these substitutions, the dish was incredible, and with the use of pre-cooked rice (I made in bulk this weekend), the recipe was a snap to pull together.
Jan 18, 2016
I made this for the "rice" recipe challenge on TOH's Cook's Corner. As suggested, I made it into a main dish by adding more bulk sausage and chicken livers. This is a fantastic recipe. Will make it again, for sure.
Jan 30, 2012
Oh and unlike some people I can read and KNOW that its not Dirty Rice unless it has chicken LIVER not gizzards! Gizzards are no where in this recipe!
Jan 30, 2012
Thank you for finally having a true Cajun Rice recipe. For some people they think if they put hot sauce in it its automatically Cajun.
Aug 17, 2011
This was very good my family was coming back for seconds. I did modify it however I put 1 lb. of hot Jimmy Dean in and left out the chicken gizzards and I put in a cup of shredded cabbage when I was cooking the garlic.
Mar 6, 2010
I used all turkey sausage instead of pork and chicken livers.