Creole-Spiced Shrimp Po’Boys
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes4 sandwiches (1 cup sauce)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Oil for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails removed)
- 4 French rolls, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish and pepper sauce. Cover and chill until serving.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, cornmeal, Creole seasoning and salt.
- Add shrimp, a few at a time; seal bag and toss to coat. Fry shrimp in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread rolls with some of the sauce. Layer bottoms with lettuce, shrimp and tomatoes; replace tops. Serve with remaining sauce.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 847 calories, 49g fat (6g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 1889mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 13, 2012
This was pretty good and very quick and easy to make!
Sep 13, 2012
Delicious shrimp! I am going to double dip in the flour/cornmeal next time with some beaten egg in between to make the breading a bit crispier.
Sep 4, 2012
This recipe is a favorite of my husbands. We had shrimp po boys in Florida and he said they were no where near as good as these!
May 28, 2012
really good - I think I would use cabbage instead of lettus....
May 27, 2012
It was a very good sandwich.