Shrimp Creole For 2
Our Test Kitchen home economists came up with this recipe for shrimp simmered in a well-seasoned tomato mixture. The zesty main dish is sized just right for two.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup clam juice or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. In a small bowl, combine the clam juice or broth and tomato paste; add to the pan along with parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in shrimp; cook 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 228 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Shrimp Creole in Light & Tasty June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.