- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Traditional Lasagna
Sort By :
"This recipe is very similar to one called "My Famous Cheesy, Heavy-duty Lasagna". The one difference is the meat. I used 1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck and 1/4 lb. bulk Italian pork sausage with 1/2 diced onion added to the meats then drained off the grease. I also used 3-16oz cans Hunts tomato sauce and 1 6oz. can tomato paste. I used 2 tsp. of Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp. salt. For the cheese I used a 16 oz. block of mozzarella-shredded by hand instead of the 12 oz. in the recipe. I also added a pkg. of Kraft Italian 5-cheese finely grated to the top when it is uncovered. I baked at 350 degrees for 60 minutes, then uncovered and baked 15 minutes more with the added cheese. This is a very good lasagna recipe, but be sure to bake in a lasagna pan as it does not fit into a 13 X 9 pan!"
"My husband made this Lasagna last night and it was SO delicious and by far the best lasagna we have ever eaten - other recipes don't even come close! We have 3 young children who all raved over it and our daughter even brought some to school in her thermos for lunch. It made plenty for a family of 5 - still have a few pieces left over but they won't make it till the end of the day! My husband ate 3 pieces for dinner on his own! Grab some Italian bread and make this recipe - you'll be so happy you did! 10 YUMMY STARS!!!! :)"
"I am a terrible cook and I found this to be easy and delicious! I would definitely recommend it!"
"Best I ever made or ate."
"Made it for Canada Day - my guests loved it!"