Traditional Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Traditional Lasagna
Sort By :
I usually go with jar sauce to save time, but wanted to make an extra special dinner for family staying with me. This recipe was awesome, so good, they could not stop bragging. Thank you Taste of Home!
Made this for dinner last night & I must say one of the Best lasagna I've ever had. Followed the recipe, with few changes; added 2/3 cup red wine to the sauce to make it a little more saucy and used no cook lasagna noodles. This is a keeper in my recipe book.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe with all of us.
Made this for dinner tonight.... It was awesome!!!!
I have a question do you remove the skins from the sausages or cook them whole or cut up
Loved it! My boyfriend said it was the best lasagna he's ever had and that's saying something!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Lasagna Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Lasagna Dinners >
- Lasagna Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >