- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1-1/4 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 3 tablespoons parsley, basil, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, and remaining parsley and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 2 cups meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Best Lasagna
Sort By :
This was my first attempt at a home cooked pan of lasagna and I have to say it was a good recipe for a first timer! As always I made a few of my own small changes. I am not a huge fennel fan and there was already fennel seed in the sausage so I omitted the fennel seeds. Also omitted were salt and sugar. With the right amount and combination of spices, added salt and sugar are not necessary. There is enough hidden sugar and salt in todays foods, I don't need any extra. Added were 1/2tsp red pepper flakes and 1tsp oregano. The crushed tomatoes I used were Italian flavored, which I think really helped to boost flavor potential. I took the advice of TNeifert and put the noodles in uncooked and baked 45min covered, then 15 uncovered and it turned out perfect. The only thing I would do different next time is use a deeper pan than my 13x9x2 dish (I had to discard some meat sauce as it would not fit in the pan) and I would add 1 extra noodle to each layer. Maybe I had tiny lasagna noodles as they didn't fill up the entire pan so there was a lot of thick edges of sauce only. I like lots of noodles in mine :). Easy dish to make ahead also.
My family loves this Lasagna ! I used sweet Italian sausage and added mushrooms . Does take awhile to get going but is definitely worth it ! I don't cook the noodles just bake everything covererd for about 45 min. and uncovered about 15 minutes . I skipped the fennel seed also and only used the 3 Tbsp. of parsley. Now I just need a bigger Lasagna pan ! Always runs over onto oven for me.
I'm picky when it comes to "saucy" meals, as I call them. However, I'm beyond happy that I decided to give this recipe a try. It was so easy to make and the taste was out of this world. The only changes I made was that I used 2 lbs lean ground beef instead of the sausage and ground beef combo and I also left out the fennel seed.
My favorite lasagna recipe so far! My family loved this and we aren't big lasagna eaters. The sauce was nice and meaty. When I make this again, I'll add in some red pepper flakes to the sauce for some extra zing. It was easy to make the sauce the day ahead and assemble the next morning. Great to have prepared and ready to pop in the oven when guests arrive.
Delicious! I added spinach to the ricotta mixture & used 2 jars of pasta sauce in place of the tomato sauces and spices
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Lasagna Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Lasagna Dinners >
- Lasagna Recipes >