Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Pie(73)
Sort By :
This was fabulous! Thank you for sharing
I never thought to put ginger in my apple pie. Pumpkin pie, sure, but NEVER apple. Then this recipe came along and showed me another way. It's SO yummy! It seems like an insignificant amount, but the ginger really adds some zing!
Loved this! It's beautiful to look at and so tasty too!
FANTASTIC! Made this for Thanksgiving dinner this year, after family agreed they wanted an apple pie. The filling set up perfect, so cut like a dream. I loved the spice and sugar levels, was just perfect. Will be adding to my go-to list of desserts. :)
I had to use orange juice instead of lemon and I added 1/2 cup blueberries it was a great recipe