Tender Flank Steak
"This mildly marinated flank steak is my son's favorite," reports Gayle Bucknam of Greenbank, Washington. "I usually slice it thinly and serve it with twice-baked potatoes and a green salad to round out the meal. Leftovers are great for French dip sandwiches."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- In a shallow dish, combine the first seven ingredients; add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 209 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat.
Originally published as Tender Flank Steak in Quick Cooking January/February 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.