Baked Flank Steak
I’ve been making this wonderfully satisfying flank steak in the oven for my family for some 15 years now. It’s low in calories, full of flavor and veggies—and always brings me raves. —Susan Tannahill, Westford, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Score surface of steak, making shallow diagonal cuts. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Place tomatoes, green pepper, onion and mushrooms around meat. Combine the chili sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; drizzle over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove and keep warm. Pour pan juices into a measuring cup; skim fat.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir in 1-1/2 cups pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly slice steak across the grain; serve with vegetables and gravy.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 233 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Baked Flank Steak in Light & Tasty August/September 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips