Flank Steak Crostini
This recipe is perfect for gatherings, holidays, or as a special Sunday football snack. My kids love it and so do my friends and family. You can substitute butter for the olive oil, or any kind of steak for the flank steak. —Donna Evaro, Casper, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 3/4 pound beef flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic and basil; brush lightly over baguette slices. Place on baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Top with mushrooms and mozzarella cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Top with sliced steak, Parmesan cheese and chives. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 63 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Flank steak crostini in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips