Round Steak Italiano
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes (7 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, soup mix, oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; pour over meat. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place over meat. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Remove meat and potatoes; keep warm. For gravy, pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 357 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 329mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 14, 2020
This was so tasty and so simple to make. I had a Greek seasoning mix, so I used that instead of straight up oregano. Our grocery had petite sirloin steaks on sale, so I substituted those for the round steak. When I got home from work, the house smelled divine. I made a delicious Parmesan Risotto in my pressure cooker which was a perfect complement to this dish. I can't wait to make this again and may make it for my co-workers for our next potluck! Thanks so much for sharing.
Apr 6, 2017
SO GOOD!!! super easy to put together and then come home to dinner DONE! this will be put into the regular rotation.
Apr 28, 2016
I have such a difficult time with round steak. This still turned out very dry with a bland flavor. Potatoes were very mushy.
Feb 15, 2015
This was an easy meal to prepare. I did make my own onion soup mix with spices from home instead of the packet. I made mashed potatoes instead so we could put the gravy on them. Everyone in this house cleaned their plate.
Mar 18, 2014
This was also my first time to make potatoes in the crock pot. They turned out great! Very tender and tasty. I was out of onion soup mix so I used herb &garlic soup blend that I had on hand & it was very good.. Super easy and great aroma while it was cooking.
Feb 28, 2014
First time cooking potatoes in crockpot and I was surprised at the tenderness. The meat however was just okay and everyone thought it needed salt.
Aug 19, 2013
We tried this recipe tonight for the first time. I was wary of cooking the potatoes this way, but I have to say the potatoes were tender and a great addition to this easy meal! I love round steak in the slow cooker; so economical a cut of meat. This turned out really good with a pleasant, but not overpowering, tomato flavor. Recommended!
Mar 6, 2013
I made this just as written, except I was short on time so I used my pressure cooker instead of the crock pot. It was great! I can't wait to cook it in the crock pot, too. I am sure it will be very tender and tasty! Thank you for the recipe.
Dec 12, 2012
I thought this meal was delicious, but my hubby gave it an "okay" review. The meat was incredibly tender as were the potatoes. It took just minutes to get it ready for the crock pot, so it's a keeper in my book.
May 4, 2012
Excellent recipe! We love the tender, flavorful round steak, and the baked potatoes make it almost a complete meal -- just need to add a veggie or salad.