Grilled Flank Steak
My sister, Kathy, and I often exchange recipes - I give her my desserts, and she gives me her entrees. This recipe is from her, and it's become a favorite of mine for serving to company. The meat and vegetables can be prepared ahead of time...when the company arrives, I just fire up the grill!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow or sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 carrots, cut into julienned strips
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour 3/4 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill flank steak, uncovered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute vegetables in reserved marinade until crisp-tender. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 265 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Flank Steak in Country Extra July 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips