Grilled Flank Steak
My sister, Kathy, and I often exchange recipes - I give her my desserts, and she gives me her entrees. This recipe is from her, and it's become a favorite of mine for serving to company. The meat and vegetables can be prepared ahead of time...when the company arrives, I just fire up the grill!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow or sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 carrots, cut into julienned strips
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour 3/4 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill flank steak, uncovered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute vegetables in reserved marinade until crisp-tender. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 265 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Flank Steak in Country Extra July 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.