Marinated Teriyaki Flank Steak
Warm days are the perfect time to get out the grill. And this tender grilled steak and marinade of teriyaki, ginger and orange from Sandi Poznanski of St. Howard Beach, New York makes a refreshing main course.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Transfer 3/4 cup marinade to a large bowl; add garlic and sesame oil. Score surface of flank steak, making diamond shapes 1/4 in. deep. Place steak in bowl; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), basting occasionally with 3 tablespoons of the reserved marinade.
- Let stand for 5 minutes; slice across the grain. Heat remaining marinade; serve over beef. Sprinkle with green onion.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 220 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Zesty Asian Flank Steak in Light & Tasty April/May 2006