Sausage-Stuffed Flank Steak
As part of a prize I won for a recipe contest, I received a slow cooker. I hadn’t used one in years, so I didn’t have any recipes on hand. This tasty beef was my first creation, and it was a hit with my family. —Julie Merriman, Seattle, Washington
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth, divided
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a small bowl, combine cherries and 1/4 cup wine; let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut steak into four serving-size pieces; flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in bread crumbs, olives, cheese, basil, cherry mixture and remaining salt and pepper. Crumble sausage over mixture and mix well.
- Spread 1/2 cup sausage mixture over each steak piece. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie with kitchen string.
- In the same skillet, brown meat in remaining oil on all sides. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with marinara sauce and remaining wine. Cook and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with pasta.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without pasta): 815 calories, 45g fat (14g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 1687mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 4g fiber), 49g protein.
Originally published as Crock Pot Stuffed Flank Steak in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.