Sausage-Stuffed Flank Steak
As part of a prize I won for a recipe contest, I received a slow cooker. I hadn’t used one in years, so I didn’t have any recipes on hand. This tasty beef was my first creation, and it was a hit with my family. —Julie Merriman, Seattle, Washington
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth, divided
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a small bowl, combine cherries and 1/4 cup wine; let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut steak into four serving-size pieces; flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in bread crumbs, olives, cheese, basil, cherry mixture and remaining salt and pepper. Crumble sausage over mixture and mix well.
- Spread 1/2 cup sausage mixture over each steak piece. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie with kitchen string.
- In the same skillet, brown meat in remaining oil on all sides. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with marinara sauce and remaining wine. Cook and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with pasta.
Test Kitchen tips