Deviled Baked Steak
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 min.
- 2 pound beef top round steak (1 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Cooked noodles or mashed potatoes
- Trim excess fat from steak; cut into serving-size pieces. Combine flour, mustard, salt and pepper; pound into steak.
- In a skillet, brown steak in oil in batches. Place meat in a large baking dish; top with onion. Combine the tomatoes, carrot, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat to a serving platter. If desired, simmer tomato-onion mixture until it is reduced to a thick gravy. Serve meat and gravy with noodles or mashed potatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 22, 2014
The gravy was delicious over mashed potatoes and the steak was very tender.I think breading the steak gave it a really good taste and helped thicken the gravy.
Jan 5, 2010
Yum! This was so good that I should have doubled the recipe. There were seven of us at dinner and there wasn't a morsel left.
Nov 23, 2009
Had a couple of round steaks in the freezer. Decent recipe but not overly impressive.