Easy Marinated Flank Steak
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (about 2 pounds)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade. Grill beef, covered, on an oiled rack over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). To serve, thinly slice across the grain. Freeze option: Freeze beef with marinade in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Drain beef, discarding marinade. Grill as directed.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef: 192 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Jan 3, 2018
Could use a bit more seasoning. Maybe a rub as well as the marinade. It just fell a little flat.
Aug 17, 2014
I used this on flanken ribs I marinated overnight. I grilled the ribs and the meat tasted delicious and moist, it really plumped up the ribs. My husband and I loved this, I will be making this often. Thank You!
Jul 6, 2014
At our 4th of July cookout, all my family exclaimed (spontaneously) on how good this meat tasted. I used London Broil at least 2" thick, and 8 minutes a side was enough over medium coals. Make sure you let the meat sit uncut 15-20 minutes after grilling, so the juices settle in. Mine was not at all tough, perhaps angeo59 got a tough cut to begin with. Maybe pounding it with a mallet to break up the meat fibers a little and then marinating it overnight, as I did, would make the difference. It's not really the marinade's fault if the meat is tough, and cooking it longer makes it drier and tougher, in my experience. At any rate, we all enjoyed it very much and this recipe is a keeper for me because of its taste and ease of preparation.
Aug 31, 2011
Grilling this cut of meat for such a short time results in a tough chew for this cut of meat. The flavor was subpar as well.
Jun 6, 2011
I've made this recipe years ago when it first came out. My family just loves it, it tastes great. You wouldn't think that a few ingredients could make the flank steak taste so delicious. I'm glad it's on the website because it would be difficult to look through 19 years of TOH magazines that I have! I'll be making this tonight!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.