Slow-Cooked Tex-Mex Flank Steak
This flavorful, tender beef dish has been a go-to recipe for many years; it's a meal lifesaver on days when I'm going to be late getting home.—Anne Merrill, Croghan, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown steak on both sides. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add water to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Pour over steak.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Slice steak across the grain; serve with onion mixture.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup sauce: 316 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Flank Steak in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.