Slow-Cooked Tex-Mex Flank Steak
This flavorful, tender beef dish has been a go-to recipe for many years; it's a meal lifesaver on days when I'm going to be late getting home.—Anne Merrill, Croghan, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown steak on both sides. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add water to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Pour over steak.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Slice steak across the grain; serve with onion mixture.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup sauce: 316 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Flank Steak in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips