Steak with Chipotle-Lime Chimichurri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups fresh parsley leaves
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef flat iron steaks or 2 beef top sirloin steaks (1 pound each)
- For chimichurri, place the first five ingredients in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add oil, vinegar, lime zest, lime juice, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; process until blended. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- Sprinkle steaks with the remaining salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with chimichurri.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked steak with 3 tablespoons sauce: 336 calories, 26g fat (7g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Nov 8, 2016
Great steak recipe! On the steak itself, we used a steak seasoning blend rather than just simple salt and pepper. The chimichurri was great. It made quite a bit. I made twice as much steak but 1 batch of chimichurri was plenty.
Oct 28, 2016
Really great flavors!! I halved the amount of chipotle.
Nov 2, 2013
I loved this sauce!
Jul 1, 2013
Very tasty, especially if you like a little spice. I would recommend cutting down the Chimichurri though. It makes way more than you'll need.
Dec 5, 2011
Tried this out over the weekend...it was very good. Yes, there is alot of garlic...you could cut back a little if you don't want it as spicy. The sauce is delicious. I served the steak with a zucchini-cilantro salad & jalapeno potato gratin...a very elegant tasting 'latin inspired' meal!
Aug 4, 2011
Can never have tooooo much garlic..can't wait to try this!
Jul 13, 2009
Really good but wayyyy to much garlic as well as peppers. I am going to try cut both in half next time
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.