Asian Slaw with Steak
Main-dish salads are so perfect for summer, especially this one with its Asian-inspired dressing—my favorite's favorite flavor. The colorful slaw and juicy steak combo is super quick and wonderful for breezy weeknight dinners. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup miso paste
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1 pound)
- 1 package (12 ounces) broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Grated lime zest, optional
- For dressing, place first 4 ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended. Reserve 1/2 cup dressing for slaw. Brush remaining dressing onto both sides of steak; let stand while preparing slaw.
- Place coleslaw mix, mango, edamame, radishes, cilantro and green onion in a large bowl. Toss with reserved dressing.
- Grill steak, covered, over medium heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°), 5-7 minutes per side. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with slaw. If desired, sprinkle with lime zest.
Editor's NoteLook for miso paste in natural food or Asian markets.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 423 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1370mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Asian Steak Salad in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017