Asian Barbecue Chicken Slaw
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup honey mustard salad dressing
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted, divided
- In a large bowl, whisk soy sauce, honey, oil and vinegar until blended. Pour half of the honey mixture into a small bowl; stir in barbecue sauce. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add barbecue sauce mixture; heat through.
- Meanwhile, whisk salad dressing into remaining honey mixture until blended. Add coleslaw mix, green onions, 3 tablespoons almonds and 2 teaspoons sesame seeds; toss to coat. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle servings with remaining almonds and sesame seeds.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup chicken mixture with 1-1/4 cups slaw: 500 calories, 23g fat (3g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1202mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Dec 16, 2017
I was surprised by how much we loved this! It was so simple and easy, and really tasty. I have to say, the BBQ sauce and honey mustard dressing do become the strongest flavors. There is no Asian flavor left at the end of the recipe, that's for sure. However, if you like an Asian-inspired American flavored dinner, you will love this.
Jan 6, 2017
My husband and I really enjoyed this, but I would make a few changes next time. The chicken was delicious but I would lessen the amount of the honey mustard dressing and maybe add a little BBQ sauce to the coleslaw dressing. I also like the idea that another reviewer had to add a little sesame oil as well. We would definitely try this recipe again.
Jan 22, 2016
The chicken tasted AMAZING! Made the full amount of dressing as I made a larger salad to feed all of us – although had heaps of salad leftover! Didn’t use coleslaw mix – used baby spinach, lettuce, cabbage, carrots as I had them on hand. Another winning recipe! Just LOVED this. Thanks for the best recipe!
Nov 23, 2015
Amazing! I added a few drops of sesame oil. Scrumptious!
Jul 23, 2015
It was a delicious and unique meal.
May 7, 2015
This was really good! I did all the sauce prep work, toasted the sesame seeds and almonds, and chopped the green onions the night before so all I had to do at dinner time was to saut? the chicken (and I used boneless chicken tenders so didn't even have to slice the chicken breast!) and put everything together. The only change I would make is I think there is plenty of the dressing mixture for at least one and a half, if not two, bags of slaw mix. If I would have had another bag on hand, I would have added it as there was LOTS of dressing in the bottom of the bowl. This was quick easy and very tasty and I will definitely be making it again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.