Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks (8 ounces each)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Rub pepper over both sides of steaks. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. In an ungreased skillet, brown steaks on both sides over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; add butter and garlic; cook for 4-6 minutes, turning steaks once. Add Worcestershire sauce; cook 4-6 minutes longer, turning once, or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Combine wine or broth, mustard and sugar; add to the pan. Stir to loosen browned bits. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the steaks.
Editor's NoteTop loin steak may be labeled as strip steak, Kansas City steak, New York strip steak, ambassador steak or boneless club steak in your region.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 1, 2014
I was not a fan. I thought it was quite a bit of work for no more than I liked it.
May 30, 2013
Oct 30, 2011
this recipe is definitely going in the recipe book. the gravy is delicious. I also added fried mushrooms to the gravy. the flavours worked perfectly with each other. a family favourite for sure!
Mar 24, 2011
Easy to make and very tasty...even my boys liked it and they are very picky eaters! Will make again.
Jan 22, 2011
I found this recipe years ago in taste of home. It was the best recipe for steak I have ever made! I have searched and searched for this again and finally I Have Found It !!!!!!!!! Truly Amazing Flavour
Apr 19, 2010
We mixed everything minus the cornstarch together, let the steak marinade for an hour or so and then grilled. Very delicious!
Jan 16, 2010
Delicious! Easy to make and full of flavor!~ Theresa