Mexican Flank Steak Tacos
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 to 2 pounds)
- CILANTRO PESTO:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium mango, peeled and halved
- 2/3 pound fresh pineapple, cut into 3 spears
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled pitted and halved
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- In a shallow dish, combine the first seven ingredients. Add the steak and turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Place the cilantro, habanero, garlic, salt and pepper in a small food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- For salsa, grill the mango, pineapple and avocado, covered, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place onion in a small bowl. Chop the grilled fruit and avocado; add to bowl. Grill tortillas, uncovered, over medium heat for about 1 minute on each side or until warm.
- Thinly slice beef across the grain; place on tortillas. Top with salsa and pesto.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 612 calories, 33g fat (7g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 739mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 12g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 24, 2015
great flavor the pesto with the salsa was hot then cool. We do not like real spicy so I did my pesto with a anaheim pepper( med hot pepper) instead of the habanero one.The grilled mango and pineapple were wonderful combo.