Moist & Savory Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup finely crushed cheese crackers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Saute onion in oil in a small skillet until tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine the eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, crackers, salt, pepper, thyme and onion in a large bowl. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Combine ketchup and brown sugar; spread half of sauce over meat loaf. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining sauce.
Freeze option: Bake meat loaf without sauce. Securely wrap and freeze cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaf and place in a greased shallow baking pan. Prepare sauce as directed; spread half of sauce over meat loaf. Reheat meat loaf in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 334 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 769mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 6, 2019
Great basic recipe. I added some chopped green peppers, increased the cheese crackers to 1 cup, added a couple shakes of liquid smoke and used equal parts of ground beef and ground pork all because that is what I had on hand. I am sure this recipe is tasty prepared as written, but adding individual choices makes it easy to adapt to your family's preferences.
Sep 28, 2018
Wonderful!!! I used 2 lbs of ground beef instead of beef and pork and crushed butter crackers since that's what I had on hand. Everything else remained the same. Very flavorful and tender. This made great sandwiches the next day! Will definitely make this meatloaf again. Try it!
Apr 15, 2018
AMAZING!! I used organic 1pd. ground beef and 1pd. lamb! This recipe is PACKED with flavor!! My family LOVES it!
May 21, 2017
soooo good! I used all ground beef, no pork, but this was delicious!!
Jan 7, 2014
I love meatloaf and am always looking for new recipes. I found this recipe to be thoroughly uninspiring, lacking flavor.
Oct 4, 2013
I used 1 lb. of ground beef and 1 lb. ground pork instead. This recipe was delicious ! My husband loved it.
Apr 17, 2013
Best meat loaf EVER! My family hates meat loaf but they ask for this one.
Nov 12, 2012
It's difficult to find something to appease my elderly parents, whom I cook for on a regular basis. My father usually just picks at his food and my mother is a ridiculously picky eater (and usually insists on something bland). I don't think I've ever seen my father devour something so quickly or ask for seconds (and considered thirds!). Very basic, very easy to make, but very tasty and reheats well!
Oct 1, 2012
I used all beef since I didn't have ground pork on hand. The best meatloaf I've ever made!
Sep 23, 2012
this is the best meatloaf I have ever made!!