Zippy Sweet-and-Sour Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, mustard, bread crumbs, dry soup mix, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into an oval loaf.
- Place in a shallow 1-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine the sugars, vinegar and remaining ketchup; drizzle over meat loaf. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 353 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 944mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Aug 26, 2016
This makes boring, ordinary meatloaf, into mouth watering, extraordinary meatloaf! I bake in the oven also. I don't cook in microwave ovens. Bake this in the oven for best results.
Jan 11, 2016
This is DELICIOUS!!
Jan 31, 2015
I made this for my husband because he loves meatloaf and I didn't have a recipe of my own!! I am not a real fan of meatloaf but as soon as I tasted this recipe I absolutely loved it!! This is the only recipe we use and will ever use!!! My children love this meatloaf and usually ask for seconds!! I also bake this in the oven because we don't have a microwave.
Mar 6, 2014
Been making this for 20 plus years. It is the favorite of my family. My kids call it Mom's Meatloaf. I bake it in the oven instead of microwave. 350 for 1-1/4 hours.
Jan 3, 2012
This is super good - not your average bland meatloaf! I did it in the oven though, can't really remember how long but I think it was over an hour at 350.
Jan 26, 2011
Love this recipe. It's quick and so good. My family loves it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.