- 12 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Arrange bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle pecans over egg mixture. Combine butter and remaining sugar; drizzle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with blueberries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFrench Toast Bake
"I stumbled across this recipe several years ago and have continued to make it since. I love that it is assembled the night before and morning prep is so easy. It is so delicious and probably my favorite weekend breakfast recipe. I also add a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to mine. Perfect with a hot cup of coffee."
"Delicious easy recipe"
"I've made this for Christmas Brunch 2 years in a row. This will be the 3rd year as I've had many requests for it. The entire family loves it - great recipe and can be conveniently made ahead."
"I made this recipe twice already.Its really good with vanilla ice cream and custard. Thumbs up"
"I made this for Christmas morning and although everyone really liked the flavor, the bottom was soggy to the point that you could pour out a lot of extra liquid and the tops of the bread was so crunchy hard that it was almost inedible. I had to stand the bread up to get it all to fit in the pan so that may have a lot to do with it. Good flavor but I will continue to search for another similar recipe."
"While I thought this dish had a great flavor and looked beautiful coming out of the oven, my husband and kids gave it a thumbs down. They didn't care for the "mushy" bread."
"I was delighted to find this recipe again. I had subscribed to the magazine years ago and this has always been a favorite. Was not able to locate after our last move! YIPPEE, I found it again!"
"This is such a versatile recipe. I have made it with raspberries, peaches, and blueberries so far. It is a hit every time!"
"This was super easy, and everyone loved it."