Dulce de Leche French Toast Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/3 cup dulce de leche
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place Texas toast on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes or until light brown. Cool.
- Arrange half of the toast in a single layer in a greased 8-in. square baking dish, trimming to fit into dish if necessary. In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and dulce de leche; spread over toast. Top with remaining toast.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla; pour over toast. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove French toast from refrigerator while oven heats. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in pecans; spread over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 551 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Dec 25, 2016
This was very good, but also very sweet. I used a 9x9 pan because an 8x8 seemed way too small. It still overflowed a little while baking, so be sure to put something under it. It was a good breakfast to have on Christmas morning, but not something I would make regularly.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.