Spiced Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
What a sweet way to start your morning! It’s perfect for the holidays, but we enjoy it year-round. Prep the evening before, and in the morning you can pop this in the oven and have a delicious breakfast in no time! —Joanne Wessel, Greenwood, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min.
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 14 cups cubed challah or egg bread (about 28 ounces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Confectioners' sugar and maple syrup, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 10 ingredients until blended. Add bread cubes and raisins; gently stir to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 65-75 minutes or until edges of bread are golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with confectioners' sugar and syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 529 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 207mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Patch French Toast in Breakfast & Brunch 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.